- Canned Tuna is a great cheap protein source – Some of you are on a tight budget, still a student or living in expensive cities, These can make it hard to get the protein you need to build muscle. Canned tuna is pretty cheap and it will provide a large amount of protein for the price you pay for it.
- It can be used everywhere – Canned tuna can be consumed where you want it. You don’t even need to freeze it so it doesn’t rot. Many soldiers consume canned tuna while they are on missions, because of how convenient canned tuna is.
- High in protein – You need at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body-weight per day to maintain and build muscle. A typical can of light tuna has around 25-35 grams of protein. That is pretty good considered you need
- You don’t need to cook or prepare anything – The only thing you need to do is open the can, and your tuna is ready to be eaten. This is extremely good for people with tight schedules or lazy people.
- It’s healthy – Tuna is rich in omega 3, which have lately been associated with all kinds of health benefits from warding off depression and cognitive decline to reducing inflammation and the risk of heart disease. The evidence is so good that the American Heart Association recommends we eat fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids — like tuna and salmon — twice a week. Researchers have also recently discovered that tuna contains the mineral selenium – an antioxidant protection. Selenium is an essential trace mineral important for cognitive function, a healthy immune system and fertility for both men and women.
- Taste is pretty average – some people can’t stand the taste and smell of tuna. We believe that tuna has an acquired taste, and it easily can become one of your favorite protein source due to its many benefits. Another option is putting the tuna in sandwiches and salads that make everything taste a lot better.
- Mercury – studies show that fish that swim in pollution may contain mercury that can build up in your body systems over time. However, light tuna’s mercury is extremely small to nonexistent. Many athletes and soldiers consume 1-2 tuna cans a day and they are super healthy. We recommend staying away from albacore tuna because it is generally higher in mercury than light tuna.
A special trick to make canned tuna taste better:
Simply cook it with toilet paper. This is a trick that Israeli military forces use all the time to make their frequent rations of canned tuna just a bit tastier. This method is safe, but we still recommend using it outside your house.
Requirements: Canned tuna in oil, toilet paper.
Step 1 – open the can without draining it.
Step 2 – apply 3 sheets of toilet paper on the tuna, and make sure it soaks in the oil.
Step 3 – Light the toilet paper from each side and let it burn for around 20 minutes.
Step 4 – Remove the toilet paper and your delicious tuna is ready !
We cannot emphasize enough the dangers of the mercury content in Albacore tuna, this can be extremely dangerous in high doses. Also try to only consume wild caught Alaskan Salmon, this type of salmon has the lowest amount of mercury and is a great source of omega 3’s!
Author: James Wilks
Hey guys, thanks for reading. This website should help you cut through all the BS and make an informed choice with supplements.
I was like you 2 years ago, trawling the internet looking at review, after review, after review. But now that’s changed, I’ve taken my years working in the supplements industry and created this website to help you make the right choice.
If you like something please share on social media! Or drop me a message. Always good to hear from you guys.