These gluten-free, naturally sweetened vegan protein bars are made from superfoods like flax, coconut oil, dates, and cacao nibs. They’re a great healthy snack for when you’re on the go!
2 cups unflavored hemp protein powder
½ cup ground flax meal
½ cup cacao or cocoa powder
¼ cup granulated monk fruit sweetener (like Norbu) or granulated Stevia (like Natvia) – Optional
2 cups nut butter of choice (like peanut butter)
½ cup coconut oil, melted
10 pitted medjool dates
1 cup cacao nibs, plus more for garnish
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut for garnish (optional)
1. Lightly grease a 14-inch rectangular pan and set aside.
2. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the “s” blade, pulse the protein powder, flax meal, cocoa powder and sweetener (if using) together a couple times to combine.
3. Add the nut butter, coconut oil and dates and process until the batter comes together in a large mass and there are no clumps of date left. You may need to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl a couple times to make sure everything gets incorporated.
4. Add the cacao nibs and pulse 2-3 times to incorporate (or transfer to a bowl and fold them in by hand).
5. Turn the dough into the prepared pan and use your hand or a spatula to press into a single, tightly-packed layer.
6. Sprinkle additional cacao nibs and shredded coconut on top, if you want, for added texture and flavor.
7. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting into bars.
Nutrition Information (per bar, without optional ingredients):
Calories: 335; Total Fat: 24 grams; Saturated Fat: 10 grams; Protein: 13 grams: Carbohydrates: 18 grams; Sugar: 6 grams; Fiber: 8 grams; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Sodium: 122 milligrams
Recipe and photo by Nora Schlesinger of A Clean Bake.